Fluticasone is a synthetic pharmaceutical corticosteroid (Glucocorticoid), a steroid hormone derivative. It is available under the generic name Fluticasone propionate and brand names such as Flonase, Cutivate and Flovent etc. It is chemically belongs to the class of steroid esters and as S-(fluoromethyl)6α,9-difluoro-11β-17-dihydroxy-16α-methyl-3-oxoandrosta-1,4-diene-17β-carbothioate, 17-propionate. The Fluticasone acts as a potent antagonist of glucocorticoid receptors and inhibits the multiple immune system cells (e.g. neutrophils, macrophages, eosinophils, and lymphocytes). It also prevent the release of inflammatory substances such as Histamine, Cytokines, Prostaglandins, Tryptases, Chemokines and Leukotrienes. It is used to treat allergic and inflammatory conditions such as skin problems (i.e. allergic reaction, dermatoses, eczema and psoriasisallergic), rhinitis, asthma, and nasal polyps.
Fluticasone may be associated with a number of side effects which may need the medical attention. If you encounter the side effects you should contact your doctor or healthcare professional immediately. These side effects can be rare, incidence not known, less common, or more common.
Rare side effects includes
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Chest tightness
- Trouble in breathing
- Bone fracture
- Skin rashes and hives
- Blurred vision, eye pain and blindness
- Increase in hunger or thirst
- Frequent urination
- Excessive growth of facial hair in women
- Swelling of the lips, eyelids, or face
- growth reduction in children
- Male impotence
- Lack of menstrual periods
Incidence not known
- Fast heartbeat
More common side effects include
- White patches on throat
- Patches in the mouth
Less common side effects include
- Ache in ear and stomach
- Trouble in swallowing
- Pain on urination
- Redness or discharge of the eye
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- White discharge from vagina
Sometimes, cases of overdose may be encountered while taking Fluticasone which seeks immediate emergency help. The Symptoms of overdose includes: extreme weakness, skin darkening, loss of appetite, fainting, and mental depression. A few side effects go away by body adjustments while taking medicine. Contact your doctor in case of any queries or if side effects continue.
- Weight gain
- Aggression or agitation
Incidence not known
- Dry mouth and skin
- Blurred vision
- Weight or voice loss
- Pain in the body parts
- Fruity odor in breath
- Decrease in height
- Trouble in sitting still
- Voice changes
- General body aches
- Colored mucus in nose
- Runny, stuffy, or sore nose
- Eye irritation
- Headache or stomach pain
- Disturbed menstrual periods
- Pain in joints
- Mouth irritation
The long term side effects of Fluticasone may be as follows:
Local side effects include sore throat, eye irritation, chest or nasal congestion, nasal discharge, and bronchitis.
Psychiatric side effects include behavioral changes (including irritability and hyperactivity), restlessness, aggression, agitation, depression, anxiety.
Immunologic effects associated with inhalation of Fluticasone have been debated. There is no evidence available to show any increase in viral infections or tuberculosis.
Gastrointestinal side effects include oropharyngeal candidiasis, diarrhea, dental caries, nausea, candida like lesions, tooth discoloration, and vomiting.
Endocrine side effects include rare symptoms of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis suppression while taking higher potency corticosteroids.
Hypersensitive reactions usually come into play when there is any shift in the oral corticosteroid therapy after introduction of Fluticasone. These include systemic eosinophilic condition and anaphylactic reactions including cardiac complications, vasculitis and vasculitic rashes, neuropathy, and worsening pulmonary symptoms; rare cases of immediate and delayed reactions such as bronchospasm, rashes, and angioedema.
Ocular side effects are often associated with long use and include cataracts, increased risk of glaucoma and ocular hypertension.
Nervous system side effects comprise dizziness, insomnia, fatigue, and headache.
Musculoskeletal side effects include reduction in bone density, joint pain, reduced body calcium, muscle soreness.
- Nasal corticosteroid sprays: MedlinePlus Medical. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000404.html
- Fluticasone Propionate | C25H31F3O5S | ChemSpider. chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.392059.html
- Fluticasone propionate – Wikipedia. wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluticasone_propionate The anti-inflammatory profile of fluticasone propionate. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7604948
- Fluticasone Nasal Spray: MedlinePlus Drug Information. nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a695002.html
- DrugBank: Fluticasone Propionate (DB00588). drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00588
- Fluticasone propionate cream
- Fluticasone propionate nasal spray
- Fluticasone propionate ointment
- Fluticasone salmeterol