What is fluticasone
Fluticasone is a glucocorticoid drug. There are two forms of it named furoate and propionate. Both are used as anti- inflammatory drugs.
Brand names for fluticasone
Fluticasone (oral inhalation) is a drug sold in the US under the names Arnuity Ellipta; Flovent Diskus; Flovent HFA and in Canada under the names Flovent Diskus; Flovent HFA. This drug is used to treat asthma.
How to use fluticasone? Do’s and Don’ts
- Before taking this drug it is essential to tell the doctor if: you ever had an allergic reaction to this medicine or similar to this one, to food or any other substance (you had a rash, your skin was itchy, you had trouble breathing, were coughing, wheezing, your face or tongue were swollen ecc.).
- It is also essential to tell the doctor about any prescription drugs you are taking or any medical conditions you have or had in the past.
- All of your drugs must be checked for possible interactions with fluticasone.
- The dose of the drug should not be changed without the doctor’s advice and should not be started or stopped without checking with him/her.
- While taking this drug there are some things that should be kept in mind: always tell the doctors, surgeons or dentists you come in contact with that you are taking this drug;
- This drug should not be used for an acute asthma attack; if your breathing problems get worse you should consult your doctor;
- If you use this drug for a longer period of time you should have your eye pressure and bone density checked;
- When taking fluticasone, some weeks may pass before full effect takes place; when you stop taking it, this should occur slowly;
- Because this drugs makes you more susceptible to infections it is essential to wash your hands regularly and avoid contact with sick people;
- If you have not had chickenpox or measles at some point in your life or you have not been vaccinated, try to stay away from people infected with this disease and talk to you doctor if you do;
- If you would to change from oral steroids to another form of the same drug, you might experience some problems such as weakness, being tired, dizziness, an upset stomach, vomiting or signs of low blood sugar.
- If you experience any of these signs and symptoms talk to your doctor as soon as possible;
- When taking steroid drugs, having surgery, injury or infection could mean that you should take bigger doses of your drugs (it is advisable to carry a warning card with you);
- Taking steroids for longer periods might cause cataract or glaucoma, osteoporosis, adverse effect when vaccinated;
- This drug might slow growth when taken by children; if you are pregnant or breast feeding talk to your doctor before taking this drug.
What is side effect of fluticasone
While taking this drug, rare but very serious side effects can take place. Call you doctor immediately if you have any of these problems: signs of an allergic reaction (swelling, trouble breathing, coughing, ecc); signs of infection (coughing, fever, pains ecc); you have troubles like feeling tired, have an increased heart rate, you are trembling, are confused, experience flushes, have pain in your joints and bones, begin to have worsening eyesight; if you have trouble breathing after taking your dose of medicine call your doctor immediately.
Side effects associated with this kind of drugs are: headache, tiredness, weakness, irritated nose and / troth, a runny nose, flu-like symptoms.
These drugs should not be discontinued without doctor’s advice. They are only for breathing in. After every use, rinse your mouth and do not swallow the rinse water but spit it out.
It is essential to use the device in the appropriate way- ask your doctor to explain the procedure of usage to you.
If you forget or skip a dose do not take two doses or increase the dose but continue with the next planned dose normally.
If the symptoms and signs of your illness do not get better or even get worse, call your doctor. Do not share your medicine with others.