The Fluticasone propionate and Flonase are two different sides of the same coin. Basically, Fluticasone propionate is the generic name (chemical name of the drug), while Flonase is the brand name of the drug. In other words, Fluticasone propionate is an active ingredient of the Flonase drug or medicine. Poor awareness of generic and brand name substitution causes confusion, and misperception among patients. In this view, readers and consumers should have a comprehensible knowledge about the similarity and differences between the terms Fluticasone propionate and Flonase.
What is Fluticasone propionate?
- Fluticasone propionate is a synthetic pharmaceutical steroid compound (corticosteroids), which primarily acts through glucocorticoid receptors.
- The Fluticasone propionate is a generic name (chemical name of the drug), which is available under several brand names such as Flonase, Cutivate and Flovent
- The compound belongs to the class of organic compounds known as steroid esters and as S-(fluoromethyl)6α,9-difluoro-11β-17-dihydroxy-16α-methyl-3-oxoandrosta-1,4-diene-17β-carbothioate, 17-propionate.
- The Fluticasone propionate functions as a potent antagonist of glucocorticoid receptors thereby binds with very high affinity to glucocoticoid receptors and inhibit the downward inflammatory responses.
- Fluticasone propionate inhibits the multiple immune system cells (e.g. neutrophils, macrophages, eosinophils, and lymphocytes) and release and effect of inflammatory substances or mediators (e.g. Histamine, Cytokines, Prostaglandins, Tryptases, Chemokines and Leukotrienes).
- The drug is used to treat the allergic and inflammatory symptoms caused by various skin problems (i.e. allergic reaction, dermatoses, eczema and psoriasis), asthma, allergic rhinitis, and nasal polyps.
- The Fluticasone propionate is available in powder form for oral use (Asthma), in ointment/lotion/cream for topical use (dermatoses, eczema and psoriasis) and metered spray or nasal solution for intra nasal use (allergic rhinitis, and nasal polyps).
- Fluticasone propionate is metabolized in liver via cytochrome P450 3A4,therefore, it has shown interaction with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors such as ritonavir and ketoconazole.
What is Flonase
- Flonase (brand name) is a nasal spray used to treat nasal congestion, sneezing, runny or itchy nose, and watery eyes caused byallergic and non allergic rhinitis, nasal polyps and asthma.
- The active component of Flonase nasal spray is Fluticasone propionate, a glucocorticoid steroid hormone analogue named S-(fluoringredient oomethyl) 6α,9-difluoro-11β,17-dihydroxy-16α-methyl-3oxoandrosta-1,4-diene-17β-carbothioate, 17-propionate.
- Besides Fluticasone propionate, the Flonase nasal spray formulation also contains other components such as microcrystalline cellulose, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, 0.02% w/w benzalkonium chloride, dextrose, polysorbate 80 and 0.25% w/w phenylethyl alcohol.
- The spray is an aqueous suspension for topical administration to the nasal mucosa and each spray contain 100 mg of formulation which contain 50 mcg of Fluticasone propionate.
- The nasal spray is supplied in a metered atomizing spray pump bottle/ container with white nasal adapter.
- The mode of action of Flonase nasal spray is through binding with glucocorticoid receptors and alteration in inflammatory responses similar to that of Fluticasone propionate.