Is Fluticasone propionate the same as Nasonex
If we are talking about the chemistry or chemical structure / active moiety both Fluticasone propionate and Nasonex are entirely different. But if, we are talking about the therapeutic effect point of view, both Fluticasone propionate and Nasonex are glucocorticoid derivatives and both used to treat symptoms of nasal congestion, runny or itchy nose, and sneezing caused by seasonal or year-round allergies and nasal polyps. To know more about the similarity and dissimilarity between the two drugs it should be better to discuss detailed information about the use, chemical structure, active moiety and mode of action of both of these two drugs.
What is Fluticasone propionate?
- Fluticasone propionate is a synthetic pharmaceutical steroid derivative (glucocorticoid) used to treat inflammatory conditions such as allergic reaction, eczema, psoriasis dermatoses, asthma, allergic rhinitis, and nasal polyps.
- The Fluticasone propionate is a generic name (chemical name of the drug), which is available under several brand names such as Flonase, Cutivate and Flovent
- The compound is chemically known as S-(fluoromethyl)6α,9-difluoro-11β-17-dihydroxy-16α-methyl-3-oxoandrosta-1,4-diene-17β-carbothioate, 17-propionate.
- The Fluticasone propionate acts as a glucocorticoid mimic and bind with specific glucocorticoid receptors and inhibit the multiple immune system cells and release and effect of inflammatory substances.
- The Fluticasone propionate is supplied in powder, ointment, lotion, cream and nasal solution or spray for oral, opical, and intranasal use.
What is Nasonex?
- Nasonex is a metered-dose, manual pump spray unit used to treat nasal symptoms (such as congestion, sneezing, and runny nose) caused by allergies, allergic rhinitis, asthma and nasal polyps.
- Nasonex is also known as mometasone furoate monohydrate nasal spray 50 mcg.
- The active chemical moiety (generic name) of Nasonex is mometasone furoate, a prodrug of free form of mometasone.
- Each Nasonex nasal spray 50 mcg contains an aqueous suspension of mometasone furoate monohydrate equivalent to 0.05% w/w mometasone furoate.
- Besides mometasone furoate monohydrate, solution contains carboxymethylcellulose sodium, sodium citrate, glycerin, microcrystalline cellulose, citric acid, benzalkonium chloride, and polysorbate 80.
- Nasonex (mometasone furoate (nasal spray) nasal spray 50 mcg is supplied as a metered-dose, manual pump spray unit (120 spray) containing an aqueous suspension of mometasone furoate monohydrate (0.05% w/w).
- After initial priming, each spray/actuation of the pump transfers/delivers 100 µl/100mg of nasal suspension which is equivalent to 50 mcg of mometasone furoate.
- The recommended dosage of Nasonex nasal spray in adults is 2 sprays in each nostril once a day i.e. 50 mcg of mometasone furoate in each spray and a total daily dose, 200 mcg.
- The recommended dosage of Nasonex nasal spray in adolescents and children, aged 4 years and older is 1 spray in each nostril once a day i.e. 50 mcg of mometasone furoate in each spray and a total daily dose, 100 mcg.
- The recommended dosage of Fluticasone nasal spray in adolescents and children, aged 4 years and older is 1 spray in each nostril once a day i.e. 50 mcg of Fluticasone propionate in each spray and a total daily dose, 100 mcg.
What is Mometasone furoate hydrate?
Mometasone furoate is a synthetic pharmaceutical corticosteroids (glucocorticoid), which is used to treat inflammation of skin and in the airways.
- Mometasone furoate is used in the treatment of inflammatory skin disorders (such as eczema and psoriasis), asthma, allergic rhinitis (such as hay fever), and penile phimosis.
- It is chemically named as (11β,16α)-9,21-dichloro-11-hydroxy-16-methyl-3,20-dioxopregna-1,4-dien-17-yl 2-furoate.
- The compound is represented with a molecular formula of C27H30Cl2O6 and molecular weight of 521.430 Da.
- Mometasone furoate possess anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, and vasoconstrictive properties (inhibits the release of the substances that cause inflammation).
- Mometasone furoate binds with cytoplasmic glucocorticoid receptors and reverse the activation of inflammatory proteins, and promotes the secretion of anti-inflammatory proteins.