What is Fluticasone propionate nasal spray (50 mcg)?
- The active component of Fluticasone propionate nasal spray 50 mcg is Fluticasone propionate.
- Fluticasone propionate is a synthetic fluorinated corticosteroid (glucocorticoid) analogues widely used to treat the symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinitis, and nasal polyps.
- The compound is chemically known as S-(fluoromethyl) 6α,9-difluoro-11β-17-dihydroxy-16α-methyl-3-oxoandrosta-1,4-diene-17β-carbothioate, 17-propionate.
- The molecular formula of Fluticasone propionate is C25H31F3O5S and has the molecular weight of 500.571 Da.
- Chemically Fluticasone propionate powder is white in color, which is practically insoluble in water, and freely soluble in organic solvents such as dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and dimethylformamide (DMF), methanol and ethanol.
Why Fluticasone propionate nasal spray 50 mcg is used?
- Fluticasone propionate nasal spray50 mcg is a glucocorticoid class of medications that binds with high affinity to glucocorticoid receptors and blocks the release of substances that cause allergy symptoms.
- The drug is recommended to treat runny/stuffy nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, watery eyes caused by hay fever or other allergies (caused by an allergen) but not by common cold.
What is Fluticasone propionate nasal spray 50 mcg?
- Fluticasone propionate nasal spray 50 mcg is available in ready to use in nasal solution form and applied directly as inhaler for intranasal use.
- The nasal spray is supplied in an amber color bottle/ container built-in with a protective cap, metered nasal spray pump, white nasal adapter, and green dust cover in a box of 1 (NDC 0173-0453-01) with FDA-approved Patient Labeling .
- Each unit/bottle contains 120 actuations/sprays and after initial priming each actuation delivers 100 mg of formulation, which contains 50 mcg of Fluticasone propionate.
- Besides Fluticasone propionate the formulation also contains carboxymethylcellulose sodium, polysorbate 80, 0.02% w/w benzalkonium chloride, microcrystalline cellulose, dextrose, and 0.25% w/w phenylethyl alcohol.
- The bottle/container is stored at room temperature 4° to 30°C (39° to 86°F).
- The container should be tightly closed and kept away from excess heat, direct sun light and reach of children. Do not freeze or store the medicine at extreme cold too. After use of labeled number of actuations the container should be discarded.
- The recommended dosage of Fluticasone nasal spray in adults is 2 sprays in each nostril once a day i.e 50 mcg of Fluticasone propionate in each spray and a total daily dose, 200 mcg.
- The recommended dosage of Fluticasone nasal spray in adolescents and children, aged 4 years and older is 1 spray in each nostril once a day i.e 50 mcg of Fluticasone propionate in each spray and a total daily dose, 100 mcg.
- However in case when patient do not respond to one spray the dosage can be exceeded to 2 sprays in each nostril (total dose, 200 mcg/day).
How Fluticasone propionate nasal spray 50 mcg works?
- Fluticasone is a man-made synthetic, trifluorinated corticosteroid hormone that mimics and shows potent anti-inflammatory activity.
- Fluticasone propionate binds with glucocorticoid receptors (regulates inflammatory responses) and alters gene expression. It is 3 to 5 fold more potent than dexamethasone (another glucocorticoid class of drug).
- It exerts its effect on multiple immune cells such as mast cells, neutrophils, macrophages, eosinophils, and lymphocytes involved in inflammation.
- Fluticasone also has a wide range of effects on mediators of inflammatory responses such as mediator’s histamine, leukotrienes, cytokines and eicosanoids.
- Controlled randomized clinical studies have shown that Fluticasone propionate nasal spray has decreased nasal mucosal eosinophils in 66% of patients and basophils in 39% of patients.
- Fluticasone propionate – Wikipedia. wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluticasone_propionate
- Fluticasone Nasal Spray: Medline Plus Drug Information. nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a695002.html
- Fluticasone Propionate | C25H31F3O5S | ChemSpider. chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.392059.html
- DrugBank: Fluticasone Propionate (DB00588). drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00588
- Nasal corticosteroid sprays: MedlinePlus Medical. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000404.html
- The anti-inflammatory profile of fluticasone propionate. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7604948